[TriLUG] I see an exchange server in my future

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Wed Aug 9 15:23:56 EDT 2006

+1 for OpenXchange

I helped a small business get started a few years ago with OpenXchange.
Since then they have grown to roughly 80 employees. They all use Outlook
with all the shared calendar and folder junk.  The employees have no
idea that there is no Microsoft server on the other end.  Samba, LDAP,
NTP, DHCP and DNS are all run from this single server as this was the
default in the initial installation.  I believe backups and the mail
store have been moved to a CORAID.

They upgraded it recently but have had only one issue in 3+ years which
they solved with a per incident support purchase.  The support guy
actually SSH'd in and fixed their issue.

The guy who administers it from day to day is a very junior sysadmin
type.  There has been no real care and feeding other than creating and
deleting users and lists from the admin GUI.  It has been perfect for
them, and has been amazingly cheap in $TCO