[TriLUG] How was your week?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:49:40 EDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can't you just select an older kernel from the grub menu?
> > If you did "apt-get dist-upgrade" the older kernels should
> > still be there.  (I assume that's what you did, since you're
> > only downloading the install disk after the fact.)
>
> Yeah, that was my first thought.  But IIRC, the old kernels wouldn't
> load either.
>
> The problem was that the initramfs didn't have the modules needed to
> mount the root file system, which is in an LV on a raid1 array.

Now, admitedly, I'm not up with the latest on "initramfs" but if
it works anything like the initrd used to, there should be a specific
one for each kernel involved and if the previous kernels loaded
the correct modules to access LVM, adding a new kernel should
in no way change that.  So, I wonder what you did to break the
older kernels.

Cheers,
Tanner
--