[TriLUG] SMB PDF printing - mixed results, examples to compare

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 16:08:19 EDT 2006

You'll have to google to see how much of this is different on CentOS,
but on a debian-based distro...

If you want to add the actual .ttf from your XP box, take the .ttf and
drop it in a directory on your linux box. Again, not sure where it
should go in CentOS, but just maybe it's /usr/share/fonts/truetype .
Then you: 'sudo fc-cache -f' (without the quotes) to rebuild your font
cache.

Best of luck.

-CMP

On 8/10/06, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't know I could do that... not even sure what approach to take.
>
> Could it have anything to do with the "wingdings.ttf" font not
> existing on my Linux box??  Apparently those checkmarks and bullets
> are from that TTF set.
>

> On 8/10/06, Josh Vickery <josh at vickeryj.com> wrote:
> > I'm not familiar enough with the pdf format to be able to determine
> > the cause of this, but my guess is that adobe is embedding font
> > definitions in the document, and that's why the green checkmarks and
> > bullets show up ok.  This explanation is also consistent with the
> > relative sizes of the two documents, "adobe.pdf" is more than twice
> > the size of "smb_pdf.pdf".  Have you checked the content of the
> > postscript file before it is converted to pdf?
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On 8/10/06, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm having some strange results with my SMB PDF prints and wanted to
> > > share them for comments/suggestions.  I have 2 examples, one was
> > > created by Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro on my XP workstation, and the other was
> > > printed to the Linux based SMB PDF printer (on CentOS 4) from Word on
> > > my XP workstation.  The driver associated with the SMB PDF printer on
> > > my workstation is the "HP Business Inkjet 3000 PS" currently (which is
> > > a fairly recent driver).  I have also tried a wide variety of other PS
> > > drivers such as the Color LaserJet 8500 PS, HP LaserJet 4200 PS, and
> > > HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS.  Although obviously some of these drivers
> > > are not color and some are, they all produce the same problems in the
> > > resulting PDF.  The Adobe one shows the page converted to PDF
> > > correctly.  The SMB PDF one shows how that setup is not performing up
> > > to par.  Is there something I may be missing that I haven't thought of
> > > or are there some sucky limitations to ps2pdf and ghostscript stuff?
> > >
> > > http://www.turnpike420.net/~dmcdowell/adobe.pdf
> > >
> > > http://www.turnpike420.net/~dmcdowell/smb_pdf.pdf
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > David
> > > --

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
TriLUG Vice Chair
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences