[TriLUG] DSL (Damn Small Linux)

James McDermott jim at purpleelephant.org
Fri Aug 18 22:19:04 EDT 2006

Hello Kevin,

I downloaded the DSL 3.0.1 6/20/2006 iso and burned the CD.

The CD boots OK on my IBM T42 Notebook running WindowsXP Professional
(without the need for the boot floppy).

When I try the same CD on my computer running Edubuntu Version 6.06 LTS,
the computer ignores the CD. The BIOS boot order is set to CDROM first.

I sense there are many different ways to boot and in some computers you
might need the boot floppy AND the CD and you might have to play around
with BIOS boot orders to get a particular machine up and running with
DSL.

On the surface it looks like a real nice distribution.

We are also exploring DSL on a jump drive for the newer computers that
can boot off the USB port.

Thanks for your help.

Jim