[TriLUG] Old Mac files: any ideas how to open them?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 18:00:40 EDT 2006

Well, I guess I might as well be consistent with the top-posting.

It looks though, that he's trying to open these files on a non-mac, in
which case there's a problem.

The Macintosh file systems HFS and later HFS+ used forked files, each
file had a 'data' fork and a 'resource' fork.  Depending the
application, the 'data' could be stored in either fork or both.

These might give some ideas about how to access those files from linux
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-7.html
http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

But it seems that most of the mac compatibility tools work with file
systems and not individual files. Depending on how the files were
copied he may or may not be able to do anything with them.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/