[TriLUG] fsck.reiserfs reports \'Filesystem seems to have fatal corruptions\'

mike.fieschko at devmike.com mike.fieschko at devmike.com
Thu Aug 24 00:02:02 EDT 2006

Booting into my desktop this afternoon, I got the above message after activating swap and fsck'ing the root filesystem.

Some other messages:

Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x302 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Blocks (total/free): 1024143/318178 by 4096 bytes.
Filesystem is clean
fsck died with exit status 4
Root file system check failed with error code 4.

The output says running fsck.reiserfs with --rebuild-tree is required.

This is an old 40G drive.  I bought an 80G drive this afternoon, and am considering using Timo's CD to boot the box, then creating a reiserfs partition on the 80G drive, of the same number of blocks as in the 40G, and using ddrescue to copy the partition contents.

Anyone with experience with fsck.reiserfs who can alert me to any gotchas?  I've read that I should also run fsck.reiserfs with the -S option as well as with --rebuild-tree, so the entire partition is scanned and the process won't halt on finding an error.

I have the output of fdisk -l /dev/hda (hda2 is /) saved in an old email.

Thanks in advance.