[TriLUG] Serial usb devices permissions hot plug question on Rel 4

Ralph Blach ralph.blach at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:00:32 EDT 2006

Ok, well I found the answer after a lot of looking.
In the directectory

/etc/udev/permissions.d

the file

50-udev.permissions

has the default permissions for all of the devices.
for serial devices
changing
# serial+dialup devices
ttyS*:root:uucp:0666
ippp*:root:uucp:0660
isdn*:root:uucp:0660
isdnctrl*:root:uucp:0660
capi*:root:uucp:0660
dcbri*:root:root:0660
ircomm*:root:uucp:0660
#ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0660  #
ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0666    #changing this to 666 changed the default
permissions
tts/[0-9]*:root:uucp:0660
tts/USB[0-9]*:root:uucp:0660

This was much to hard to find and correct.  There should be a gui interface
to configure this or
the docucmentation should point you directly to this file.

Chip