[TriLUG] Availability reporting: nagios vs big brother

Jason Faulkner jason at oldos.org
Fri Aug 25 09:43:26 EDT 2006

In the web interface, you can do a couple of things.

1) If a service is already down, you can choose to acknowledge the
downtime. In which case, Nagios will stop paging you until the problem
recovers.

2) If the service is planned to go down, you can simply click the
"Disable Notifications for this Service" option in the web interface
for that service. Nagios will still track the service, it just won't
page you. However, you are *supposed* to use downtime for this sort of
thing, but I don't know if that skews stats in Nagios or not.

On 8/25/06, Paul G. Szabady <Paul at thyservice.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a question related to the server availability reporting in big
> brother vs nagios.  We currently use big brother, yet when there's an
> outage, we disable monitoring.  This minimizes email and paging noise
> while working on the issue(s).  The downfall is that the availability
> report data gets skewed and doesn't show an accurate representation of
> server uptime.  Does nagios have the ability to stop paging, but continue
> monitoring so that the availability reports are accurate?  According to
> the manual, it seems to be that way, but I'd like to make sure before I
> suggest moving from BB to nagios.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Paul