[TriLUG] Ubuntu Dapper-Drake: Serial Console Install?

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Sun Aug 27 12:10:14 EDT 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:41:41 -0400
> From: "Brian Weaver" <cmdrclueless at gmail.com>
> Subject: [TriLUG] Ubuntu Dapper-Drake: Serial Console Install?
> To: "Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list" <trilug at trilug.org>
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to install Ubuntu 6.06 "server" using a
> serial console session? I'm pretty sure I did this with Debian last
> time, but I haven't yet tried it with Ubuntu. I was going to install
> Ubuntu on a system that is headless and I'm really to lazy attach one
> if I don't need to.
>
> Has the serial port become so out dated? I ask this because I had to
> build myself a special respin of a rescue cd
> (http://www.sysresccd.org/) just to get serial support for my headless
> server.
>
> -Brian

Hi Brian,

I just bought a Cobalt Qube which is headless and most of the initial
configuration, especially during install, must be done via the serial
port.  Instead, I'm going using chroot and debootstrap to build a base
system on my laptop running Ubuntu 6.06.  Then, I'll transfer that
system to the Qube via NFS.  There's a nice howto at
http://www.timntina.com/debian-sarge-cobalt-install .  I haven't done it
yet, but I think it'll work.

Jim