[TriLUG] smbfs mounting samba exports to linux box

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Aug 28 10:18:33 EDT 2006

I have a linux/samba box which is exporting smb shares to
windows boxes. The same linux box can smbfs mount shared
directories from the windows boxes. (This shows that in
at least one instance I can export smb shares and mount smb
shares on a linux box).

This may be an unnatural act, but I tried to use another
linux box (which doesn't have samba installed, but has the
smbfs module loaded) to smbfs mount the smb exports from the
linux/samba box. I get something like

"cannot access /etc/samba/smb.conf"

and the mount fails.

I don't have another windows box available with me to test
if I can export files from it to the linux box which doesn't
have samba installed (I can get one at home tonight).

Do I need samba as well as the smbfs module to mount
exports from a samba box, or is the mount failing for other
reasons?

Thanks Joe