[TriLUG] OT: 64-bit computing advice

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Aug 29 08:52:34 EDT 2006

Hiya Gang,
   My dad is asking me for advice on upgrading his P-III 750MHz Win98
desktop which is gradually grinding to a halt.  It seems that the
marketplace is really trying to shove 64-bit desktop computing down our
throats (anyone seen an Athlon XP for sale lately?  Or a quality mobo to
put it on?).  I don't have any direct experience with 64-bit chips, but
it seems like I've heard a lot of horror stories about unsupported
hardware, as well as further DRM encumberances in the Windows platform.
  Unfortunately in this case, Windows is a requirement.  I'm sure Dad
would be interested in switching to Linux, but he uses a handful of
Windows-only apps.  Which brings me to my question of which is better:

1 - Jumping headlong into 64-bit computing and the 64-bit edition of
Windows XP;
2 - 64-bit platform running 32-bit XP (which I have heard runs like
garbage, but only from one person)
3 - 64-bit platform running 64-bit Linux with 32-bit Windows XP under
VMWare.
4 - Trying desperately to find quality 32-bit hardware for 32-bit Windows.

(See, I mentioned Linux, so it's not completely inappropriate for the
list! :-) )

All tips and advice are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~Brian