[TriLUG] OT: 64-bit computing advice

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Aug 29 11:29:46 EDT 2006

Have you tried Win4lin ?

VMWare is great for lots of things - its been a big part of what we do
at Global Knowledge for the past 5 years or so.  VMWare would not be my
first choice to satisfy the requirements you've listed Brian.  I would
look to Win4lin first.

Select whatever hardware you think will run a stable Linux distro with
any native Linux apps you like.  Then add Win4lin to get a very thin
virtualization layer.  You'll be able to install WinXP or W2k from CD
right on top of your Linux system.  The performance is quite good
(better than QEMU for example) and you'll be able to use peripheral
devices and share files and such with ease.  I like Win4lin better than
anything else I've tried for a smooth Windows-in-Linux experience...
even more than free VMWare Server or Player for this type of use.

Ryan