[TriLUG] Ubuntu Dapper-Drake: Serial Console Install?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:15:14 EDT 2006

On 8/26/06, Brian Weaver <cmdrclueless at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know if it's possible to install Ubuntu 6.06 "server" using a
> serial console session? I'm pretty sure I did this with Debian last
> time, but I haven't yet tried it with Ubuntu. I was going to install
> Ubuntu on a system that is headless and I'm really to lazy attach one
> if I don't need to.
>
> Has the serial port become so out dated? I ask this because I had to
> build myself a special respin of a rescue cd
> (http://www.sysresccd.org/) just to get serial support for my headless
> server.

I haven't tried this myself, but I remember looking at a script called
debtakeover which could probably be modifed to install ubuntu instead
of deb stable or one of the debian releases.

Is the serial port the only connection to this machine?  You're going
to need some way to get the packages.  If you've got tcp why not use
ssh or shudder telnet to get into it?  If not, what kind of server are
you building?

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby