[TriLUG] compiling java code with gij, running as binfmt code

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 29 12:23:29 EDT 2006

1.

Is gij the gnu equivalent of javac? I have a HelloWorld.java
file which compiles under javac and the resulting class file
runs under java. Am I supposed to be able to do

$gij HelloWorld.java

and get HelloWorld.class?

(It gives an error

Exception in thread "main" java.langNoClassDefFoundError: HelloWorld.java)

2.

At one stage in linux you were (supposed to be able to) run
the class file directly after loading the binfmt_java
module. This module is now the binfmt_misc module. After
making executable the class file produced by javac and
with the binfmt_misc module loaded I do

$./HelloWorld.class

and get

-bash: ./HelloWorld.class: cannot execute binary file.

Any ideas?

Thanks Joe