[TriLUG] Phone/DSL wiring

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Aug 29 12:34:17 EDT 2006

Okay, now that I have your question a little more succinctly stated...
Let's see if I get beaten to this punch.

Step one: separate your concept of "rj-45" and "cat-5".  Cable is cable;
the connectors at the ends make it crossover or straight-through.

Step two: Get a length of cat-5 cable to reach where you need it to
reach.  No connectors.

Step three:  Attach to one end an RJ-11 4-position jack, with
blue/white* as the inner pair (red/green) and orange/white as the outer
pair (black/yellow).  Pair polarity does not matter for phone lines.
Plug your existing to-the-wall RJ-11 cable into it.  Hide the mess
behind the bookshelf, while optionally applying cable-ties and
heat-shrink tubing.

Step four, option 1: Attach to the other end an RJ-11 4-position jack,
with blue/white as the center pair and orange/white as the outer pair.
Into this, plug a $5 line splitter adapter (4-pin plug, two 2-pin
sockets, labeled Line 1 and Line 2; NOT a Y-adapter).  Into Line 1, plug
your phone.  Into Line 2, plug your DSL splitter (or Y-adapter and
filter, which is all a splitter is) and other related bric-a-brac.

Step four, option 2: Attach to the other end two RJ-11 jacks.  Connect
one's center pair to blue/white and label it Line 1; connect the other's
center pair to orange/white and label it Line 2.  Into Line 1 plug your
phone; into Line 2 plug your DSL/fax/etc.

I suggest for the "the other end" part, picking up a surface-mount wall
jack device, either a molded two-jack box or one that takes two keystone
modules.  Use some cable ties to form some strain-relief.  Screw it to
the wall in a convenient place.

....Or, if you don't want to move the house phone (oops..) :
Step three: Plug the existing to-the-wall cord into your new cable
through a Y-adapter.  Overall I still see no reason not to bring the
main line signal to the new location.  Then it'll be there if you decide
to move the phone later.

Forgive me if, after all this missive, I've still missed your point. :-)

HTH,
~Brian