[TriLUG] Xen questions

Jason Faulkner jason at oldos.org
Tue Aug 29 18:55:23 EDT 2006

> 1) Is this something that Xen would be good for?
Yes.

> 2) Am I right in thinking that Xen would be a good virtualization
>    choice? I have a VMWare license, but I'm thinking it'll take too much
>    in the way of resources.
Are your servers OSes supported by Xen? Then yes.

> 3) Sometimes people need to access my web server. Will I be able to
>    forward connections to a virtual machine, possibly using mod_proxy on
>    Apache. Or is there a more seemless way to do this? Not sure how
>    networking works in Xen, and assuming something similar to VMWare.
Networking in xen works exactly how you want it to. By default xen
makes all your dom0s full network devices with their own IP on a
bridged connection.

> 4) I'm thinking it would be beneficial to upgrade from FC4 to FC5 before
>    trying out Xen. Sound right?
I did it on Sarge. It was easy enough to setup a new install of xen on
sarge, so i wouldn't think it's neccessary. I did it all the tarball
way.

We just did this at work, and it's excellent. Xen is perfect for this.

--
Jason Faulkner
http://oldos.org