[TriLUG] Debian kernel 2.6 CD identity problem

khouse at email.unc.edu khouse at email.unc.edu
Wed Aug 30 03:19:08 EDT 2006

I've just installed Debian Sarge version 2.6.8-2-386 on  an  IBM
Netvista.  The CD-ROM was a problem on install, but I worked around that
with the Debian Install page temp fixes.  Now the drive can't be mounted.

DMESG says its a
hdc:   LTM486S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
and further down, hdc:  ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 120kb cache UDMA(33)

The errors are a number of bad sector messages and the bread-failed and
DriveReady SeekComplete Error.

If anyone knows a good fix for this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Kathleen