[TriLUG] IRC lack-of-fun

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Aug 30 16:21:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:06:01PM -0400, Lee Fickenscher wrote:
> I'd support a move to jabber. In the past the critical mass hasn't
> been there for such a move, but perhaps times are changing? The
> change would be easy for me though, as I'm only really in #trilug and
> related channels and most of the people in those other channels are
> either already in #trilug or are easily accessible through IM.

One of the arguments against has been a lack of console based Jabber client
that doesn't suck (subjective I realize), but more to the point one that
supports MUC (Multi-User Chat).  bitlbee provides an excellent bridge for
those wishing to use irssi (or any IRC client for that matter) to the other
IM networks, but it does not yet have MUC support.  I think this continues
to be too large a hurdle to a full-scale migration of something like
#trilug.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a huge fan of Jabber and I think it has great
potential in a lot of other arenas, but I think our current situation is a
niche that Jabber will have a hard time filling.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5