[TriLUG] dd limit on disks?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Sep 2 23:16:05 EDT 2006

I do windows backup by dd'ing the whole disk to my linux
machine (after defragmenting and filling the disk with
zeroes). I check that I've got something sensible by
mounting with -o loop, I then gzip the image. This has
worked fine so far as the windows disks have been small
(6G). If a disk crashes I have to restore to a disk of the
same geometry. I find this works to clone a 10G disk to
another bigger (40G) disk (maybe I've just been lucky).

I just installed WinXP on a 30G disk and then tried to back
it up with dd. I recovered only about 6G (6495068160bytes =
63 sectors * 3 surfaces * 16 heads * 5(I don't know what) *
839 (cylinders?) * 512). (total cylinders is 16,383:
16383/839=19 if that helps). Thinking there was something
wrong with the disk, I did it again with the same result.
Picking another 30G disk (same type) with linux on it, I got
the same result. I seem to have got about 20% of the disk.

ulimit is unlimited.

I have some other random sized disks I could try. Since dd
doesn't care about the filesystem, I'm only copying bits.
Anyone know why I can't dd the whole disk, no matter what's
on it? Google didn't find any problems.

Thanks Joe