[TriLUG] OT: setting hostname on Nintendo DS box

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Sep 3 23:01:05 EDT 2006

My son with his Ninendo DS box, just discovered the home
wifi network ("Dad, what's a WEP key?"). He's had the unit
for about 3yrs and he kept telling me it could connect to
the internet. Of course I didn't believe him. I had no idea
that the unit had a wifi card till tonight. Within minutes
he's playing a game with a guy in Mexico and another in
Japan. To say I'm surprised is putting it mildly.

The box comes up in dhcp/DNS as "NintendoDS", which I
assume is the default machine name. Assuming a
bunch of his friends come over, they'll have a DNS name
collision (which probably won't bother them or the DNS, but
I'd like to know whose unit I'm pinging if ever I need to).
How does he change the unit's name?

When I set up wifi for an event where there were a bunch of
people with Palm computers, enough of them knew how to
change the unit's machine name that all eventually were
unique. Thinking that this was common knowledge, I didn't
bother writing it down. Now with google I can't find how to
set the machine name for Palm computers or for a NintendoDS.
I can't find any useful entries for "NintendoDS" with
google, or "machine info" "set machinename/hostname
NintendoDS". The Nintendo search engine at nintendo.com
gives no hits for "machinename/hostname NintendoDS".

Thanks Joe