[TriLUG] buying songs online

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Sun Sep 3 23:41:25 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 23:36 -0400, Matthew West wrote:

> That seems to be the problem with purchasing music online. I don't want
> to use iTunes, because I want the music in a standard format and
> non-DRM. But I don't want to purchase a CD in the store because most of
> the time I don't need the whole CD, just a song or two. But, when I used
> musicmatch, it seemed to be very fair and would allow you to use the
> song however you wanted to. Although I haven't used musicmatch in over 4
> years. If you want nice music at low prices, you should check out the
> BMG music service (www.bmgmusic.com). I can get great deals on CDs.
>
> Matt

I've found that even if you only buy an album because of a single,
usually after giving it a couple shots, you'll find it's better than you
initially thought.  (Mere exposure phenomenon, anyone?)  I've found my
best solution to go to the Record Exchange or any other local, small,
used-record store.  Their prices for used albums are usually really
good.  A little toothpaste to heal the shallow scratches, and it's
typically just fine.  :)