[TriLUG] buying songs online

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 01:54:42 EDT 2006

> You make a very good point.  It's unfortunate that our only options as
> consumers seem to be full albums or DRMed music.

(1) ogg radio --  http://rikkus.info/ogg-vorbis-stations.html
(1.5) more ogg radio (warning: Duke... further warning: java needed)
http://dreamachine.bootp.duke.edu/wxdu.html
(1.75) MORE more ogg radio (warning: my alma mater) http://www.wxyc.org/
(2) CD Baby -- http://www.cdbaby.com/
(3) get a minidisc recorder (or some other audio recorder), go to a
concert and record the audio yourself. There are plenty of bands and
venues in the triangle where you can get away with it--some bands
actively encourage it since they may _lose_ money on producing their
albums but make money on tours, so bootlegs are much cheaper promo
material. NB: check for signage prohibiting this. You don't want to
have your shprensive gear confiscated.

Full disclosure: the last time I bought music it was from Amazon, and
the album was ''Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs''
(which is on the Righteous Babe label, Ani Difranco's
label--definitely _not_ a RIAA label[1]). Album before that was ''Run
Come Save Me'' (on the bigdada label, again not RIAA). Noticing a
pattern?

Don't waste time lamenting your options. Figure out what options you
have and take action.

Good luck,
CMP

[1] Labels to kill^Wavoid: http://www.riaa.com/about/members/default.asp

--
Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences