[TriLUG] IM (Jabber and others... doing windows)

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Wed Sep 6 10:17:35 EDT 2006

* Matt Pusateri (mpusateri at wickedtrails.com) [060906 10:05]:
> Chris,
>
> I'm looking at jabber servers right now as well.  Its seems that:
>
> ejabberd is most xmpp compliant
> jabber 1.x is most stable with most pluggins
> jabber 2.x is promising - complete rewrite of jabber 1.x
>
> I didn't really look at the others.  I was going to start withe
> ejabberd first.

jabber 2.x and ejabberd both work with LDAP/AD -- have used both
successfully, in fact, I'm currently connected to both of them with my
AD credentials right now.  ;-)   ejabberd works great for multi-domain
hosting, and has a pretty good web interface.

I would also look into Wildfire[1].  We are using ejabberd in
production at the moment, but we are going to start evaluating
Wildfire, since it is a bit more feature-rich, and seems to be more
"enterprise" driven.   It supports LDAP/AD, of course.   Oh, and you
can pay for support, which makes the suits happy.

Jason

1. http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/im/index.jsp