[TriLUG] need a small, lightweight read-only ssh host/squid box

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 7 10:01:39 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 09:07 -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> I was thinking M0n0 BSD on a Soekris but m0n0.bsd was discontinued last
> month.  Shoot.  What are my other lightweight read-only Linux ssh/squid
> server options?

I'm not involved with embedded systems much at all.  But Google turns up
a number of HOWTOs for Linux on a Soekris.  These two looked most
promising:
        http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=AntLinux.LinuxOnSoekris
        http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/linux/soekris/ (uses
        RH7.2)

You could probably take any old PC that someone is trying to get rid of,
clean it up a little, throw debian stable on it, and have it up in a few
hours.