[TriLUG] buying songs online

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 7 12:04:15 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 18:02 -0400, stan briggs wrote:
> my wife came to me to ask why the wal-mart site, when you click on 88
> cent downloads, will not proceed until you install windows media player
> 9. i, of course, scoffed at the computer neophite. of course, the site
> could not, possibly, require that you to have a specific media player
> (especially a proprietary one) prior to even getting to the point where
> you search for music.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I came across this today:
http://www.mp3tunes.com/store.php
Things it features:
- Indie music
- $.88/song
- No DRM

Jon Johanson, of DeCSS fame, is currently employed with this company.
It looks pretty nice.  When they say indie music though, they mean it.
You're not going to find top 40 on here, or probably much of anything
from a big label.  (Even medium sized indie labels, like Saddle Creek,
aren't on here.)

Maybe something that might interest you, maybe something just to watch.

-sr