[TriLUG] Sendmail help

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 9 20:15:09 EDT 2006

Are you running a Cisco Firewall and passing your SMTP into your server
via that? If so, you may need to tell it to leave your SMTP alone! In
this case, the firewall cuts off the smtp connection before it can
complete...

More like though - this may be an indication of spam testing from remote
mail sites. I think this type of message is indicative of a type of Spam
testing that some folks run.

A mail server in the act of receiving email from your domain opens a
smtp connection with your server just to make sure that the domain etc
are live and correct. It just opens the connection (to verify it), then
it drops the connection (no nice goodbye or sign off).
If your server didn't answer then the receiving mail server would reject
that inbound mail as spam.

Jon