[TriLUG] why is it slow?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 23:53:14 EDT 2006

hello all

so, here is my problem: my webserver was uploading fine before, then i had
my dad upload all of his pictures to my server via ftp. came to a total of
3100 and a few. now, the server uploads like a snail... almost as if i were
downloading off of a 23k modem. (it takes me 6 min to load a 1200*900 img it
was a 300k file)
i did a broadbandreports.com speed test on it and have an upload of about
350kbps

initially, i thought it was because i uploaded all those pictures to the
server and it needed to be defraged?? (can you defrag a linux harddrive? if
so how)

but, after messing with it a little more, i noticed that doing my ip address
71.71.xx.xx takes forever to load, but if i stay in my network, my
192.xx.xx.xx address, it loads instantly.  when my dad trys to load the
website, he has a delay of about 3 or 4 seconds to load one of the images.

so, my thought to that is that it is getting confused trying to go out of my
house and come back in?
other than this, i have no real idea as to what is up with this.

thanks for any input or help
jason