[TriLUG] web filtering for small labs

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:33:02 EDT 2006

 i'm looking for a low/no cost solution for web filtering.

 currently we have 2 education labs, and each of them have 18 client
machines.
the labs are set up with their own servers(windows i'm afraid) and these
servers
have been running a product called "surf control".  this app was donated to
us, and
i guess that the upgrade costs werent considered at that time. we cannot
afford
to purchase the upgrades for both labs, so i am looking for another
resource.
also, these servers are a bit older, and are getting the life beat out of
them by this
gigantic application.

 i dont feel that it would be worth building 2 squid boxes. i am considering
that the
next admin might not be familiar enough with linux to keep them going. can
anyone
suggest a router/filter option; or even an open-source tool that will run on
our current
servers.

 thanks