[TriLUG] autofs directory within a directory

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:37:28 EDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Matt Bidwell <bidwell at dead-city.org> wrote:
> I've got what should be a very simple problem that I'm just not able to
> fix.  I'm using autofs to mount a folder to the root file directory.
> Instead what I'm getting is that folder inside of the same folder on
> the root directory.  So instead of having /<folder1>/content I
> get /<folder1>/<folder1>/content.  The /<folder1> is a regular
> directory, meaning I did a mkdir which it is to my understanding is the
> proper way.
> Pertinent file info below, sanitized for your pleasure.
> /etc/auto.master
> /<folder1> /etc/auto.<folder1> --timeout=600 -g
> /etc/auto.<folder1>
> <folder1>                 <host>.local:/export2/<folder1>

I think you have a small misunderstanding of how autofs
works.  The behavior you are seeing is expected.  The
directory in auto.master lists the directory under which to
mount all the mount points for that particular auto.[whatever]
file.  Then within auto.<folder1> you list the mount points,
one to a line, and they then get mounted under the directory
specified in auto.master.  If you want a folder automatically
mounted at the root level, you'd need to put / in auto.master,
but I really wouldn't advise that as it theoretically tells
auto.master that they're responsible for all the directories
under the root directory!!!!

BTW, if you want to look at an example of this in action and
you have a TriLUG account, the trilug cluster uses autofs
for all of its NFS mounts.

Cheers,
Tanner
--