[TriLUG] why is it slow?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:10:11 EDT 2006

On 9/11/06, jason watts <jsnthegod at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  i noticed that doing my ip address
> 71.71.xx.xx takes forever to load, but if i stay in my network, my
> 192.xx.xx.xx address, it loads instantly.  when my dad trys to load the
> website, he has a delay of about 3 or 4 seconds to load one of the images.
>
> so, my thought to that is that it is getting confused trying to go out of my
> house and come back in?
> other than this, i have no real idea as to what is up with this.

Perhaps,  what kind of firewall/router are you using?  If it's on your
Linux box what's the configuration.

Some appliance routers have problems with looping back the address of
their external wan interface when it comes from the lan side.   Some
just can't do it at all, I suppose others might do it but with
performance problems.

Since your dad is seeing performance problems, and I assume that he's
outside your lan, I suspect that you've got a general throughput
problem on the router.

--
Rick