[TriLUG] why is it slow?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:04:35 EDT 2006

>OK, I think I understand now, but feel free to correct me.
>
>You are on your LAN, with a private IP, 192.168.123.456, trying to talk
>to another machine on your LAN, 192.168.123.457, and see very good
>speeds.  However, if you try to address the second machine with an
>"outside" address, 71.71.123.457, from that same internal machine,
>192.168.123.456, your throughput drops to nothing.  I have never ( ? )
>been able to do such a thing, using any firewall that I have used,
>because they generally refuse to pass traffic ( let me see if I can get
>the language correct ) that is addressed to the external interface, but
>originates on the internal interface.  This is, perhaps, a special case,
>since, of course, you can originate other external traffic ( all of your
>Internet traffic ) on the internal interface, but in that case it is
>trying to go out through the external interface, not coming in.
>
>Am I understanding?
>

>Thanks,
>Brian
>
>--

umm... i think you got me a little lost :p

my server is at 192.168.123.456
my surfing computer is at 192.168.123.457

the router forwards to port 80 like it should.

when my dad (out in az) connects, 71.71.789.456 he doesnt have a problem in
the world

when i connect to my server71.71.789.456, i get like 6 min load times on a
300k image.

when i connect to my server internally, 192.168.123.456, i get instant

my question lies in the why cant i get as fast with the 71.71.789.456
connection?

i know when i was liveing at home, we were useing a linksys router... or was
it a dlink?  i had an address jsnthegod.no-ip.com

with that address i could connect with fast speeds inside the house, dad
said the router was noticing that it was an internal connection, and thus,
just passed it around in the internet instead of leaving the network.

now, it seems to be leaveing the network. and getting confused comeing back
in (or this is my best guess)

of course, im more of an expert than him at this time, so he could have been
wrong in his assesment

jason