[TriLUG] file formats

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 07:44:21 EDT 2006

On 9/14/06, jason watts <jsnthegod at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ok, the setup i am working to build
>
> i have a 160 gig hd
>
> i plan on shrinking windows xp down to 40 gigs
> then installing linux to another 40 gig section.
>
> the other 80 gig, i want to format so that it can be read by both windows
> and linux.
>
> i know ntfs is out, linux isnt so good at reading it.
> i know fat16/32 are both useable by windows and linux.
>
> is there any other format i should consider useing that can be read by both
> win and linux?
>
> reason for this is i plan to use the 80 gig section to "pass" video's back
> and forth between they two. im expecting files to be between 1 and 2 gig.
> (maybe smaller? not sure, dont have the files yet to know)

I formatted mine to ext3 and used a Windows ext2 driver.
There are two free (as in beer) drivers available - one is not open source:
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html
http://www.fs-driver.org/  (not OSS)

I can't recall which one I actually use.  But I've never had any problems
with basic read/write.

Another option is NTFS.  The linux NTFS driver group are very active and
have made a lot of progress.  http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

--
Robert Dale