[TriLUG] kernel panic (and other stuff)

m36344748-1 at pop.1and1.com m36344748-1 at pop.1and1.com
Thu Sep 14 09:31:49 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

I have a computer that I dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu Dapper Drake.
I was using Windows this morning, and I have an ext2 driver for Windows
installed that I have been using fine as of late.  All of a sudden, this
morning, Windows could not see the files.  It saw the partitions on the
drive itself, but it could not recognize what was there.

To try and remedy the problem, I rebooted into Linux and got a kernel panic
almost immediately on boot-up.  The panic message was something to the
effect of "Kernel panic -not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!"  It
suggested that I reboot with a apic-debug parameter, but I am not very
familiar with Linux and I am not sure how to tell GRUB to do that.  In
addition, I am not at the PC now and I cannot try that.  Anyone know what
might be causing this?

Thanks guys!