[TriLUG] file formats

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Sep 14 11:20:48 EDT 2006

I have to recommend against FAT for video files.  Sure, FAT-32 claims to
be able to address something like 2TB of storage, but I think you're
taking chances by routinely storing upwards-of-two-GB files on any FAT
partition.  For the record, FAT-32's maximum single-file size is (2^32)
- 1 bytes, or a byte less than 4GB (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463/EN-US/ ).

The OP said he guessed his files would be 1-2 GB in size..  But if we're
talking about video editing here, depending on the project, it seems too
likely that that'll prove a conservative estimate.

~B