[TriLUG] Extension to Vim's taglist?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:05:25 EDT 2006

Allright, those of the emacs persuasion, skip to the next thread <G>

I've been using the taglist/ctags extension to vim for a while, it's
pretty cool, it uses ctags and keeps a list of tags to the file you
are editting.  Say you're editting a c source file.   You get a
categorized list of things defined in the file, functions, macros,
etc.  As you navigate through the file, it highlights the tag you are
'in' after a short time delay.  If you select a tag in the list, and
hit enter, the file window moves to the definition of the tag.

If you edit another file in the same session, it adds that files tags
to the list.  If you select a tag in another file, the file window
switched to that file.

Very nice for navigating around in source code.

Now, what I've been wanting is a way to select something in the file
window, say a function name in a function call, and, with a keystroke,
find the tag defining that function in the taglist.  I'm sure that
someone somewhere has done this, but I can't figure out how to
condense what I'm talking about to a google search.

Any ideas or pointers?

--
Rick