[TriLUG] what is this stuff?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 15:35:49 EDT 2006

ok, paying attention to the book i am reading, php and mysql

it has me setting up my enviornment installing mysql, php and appache 2

appache 2 and php is there from my former workings on the computer, or the
original install

the book said appache should be in ./usr/local/apache2
also says if i had mysql installed, it would be in the same place,
../usr/local/mysql

it also says that the root directory for apache is in
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs

on my system, the root directory for apache is in /var/www/html

and as far as for apache, i ran find . -name httpd and came up with several
things

[root at localhost /]# find . -name httpd
../etc/sysconfig/httpd
../etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
../etc/logrotate.d/httpd
../etc/httpd
../usr/lib/httpd
../usr/sbin/httpd
../var/lock/subsys/httpd
../var/log/httpd

my question is, which of these is the directory i need?

what do these and some of the other ones not listed usually used for? (eg,
what is var usr etc dev lib proc srv )

and, where is it recomended to install my apache and mysql too?

sorry for all the questions of late, just trying to acutally make my
computers do things now

jsn