[TriLUG] Squirrelmail and Dovecot problem

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 19 12:47:51 EDT 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Glenn Hennessee <Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> It just gets stranger and stranger. Postfix did and does have
>> mailbox_size_limit=0 so there is no maximum mailbox size. It did appear
>> last night when I was checking that it might have something to do with
>> the size of the mail spool because squirrelmail would work on accounts
>> with no or small amounts of email but not on accounts with large email
>> files. However, this morning I put that theory to the test by using a
>> test account and sending messages with attachments. Right now the
>> account has a spool file of 40 MB, more than two who are having
>> problems, and squirrelmail works fine. Now that 40 MB is from 6 email
>> and not 2000 emails so I don't know if that's an issue or not.
>
> 40MB wouldn't be a problem.  I think the postfix default is something
> like 2GB.  Number of e-mails within the file shouldn't be a problem.
>
>> One other thing, when moving from by dead RHEL3 system (the drive died
>> but I was able to recover the unread mail (hang the dead drive outside
>> the case and turn a big fan on high to keep it cool) after the ubuntu
>> system was running. I merged the two sets of spool files with mmv
>> (http://debaday.livejournal.com/33924.html) to append the new mail spool
>> to the old mail spool. I don't see this as a problem but I did do it for
>> those who had unread mail which was most. Most of my users are pop and
>> so don't have large spool files as a rule.
>
> Have you tried just pointing a local version of pine directly
> at the mail spool file?   It should use the exact same library
> routines (c-client) to read the mail spool but might actually
> have more informative error messages (well, one can hope,
> anyway).
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

I just tried that and it worked with no problem. I also just tried
formail -ds <oldmailfile >>newmailfile  which will "convert a
non-standard mailbox file into a standard mailbox file." The input and
output boxes aren't quite the same size, the new one is 95 bytes bigger
than the old but squirrelmail can't access it either. I also tried
formail -s to resend my entire mail file to the test account with the
same result, squirrelmail won't show the mail. It's interesting that the
new mail file is 64355357 bytes and the old file is 64002417 bytes, 350K
bigger for the new.

glenn

--
Glenn Hennessee