[TriLUG] Postfix, Relay and nc.rr.com

jason at monsterjam.org jason at monsterjam.org
Wed Sep 20 11:59:03 EDT 2006

well, dunno if this is your problem, but this is something that I ran into
and you need to be aware of as well if youre doing this..

if your server/domain have been up for a while, youll start to notice
emails coming to people that dont even exist on your domain.
i.e.  fred at yourdomain.com, fred2 at yourdomain.com, frank at yourdomain.com,
filly at yourdomain.com, etc..

Its the winblows spambots spewing their crap trying to guess names on your
domain. Well, your smtp server will probably respond (like it usually
should) saying
"user xxxx not valid" back to whoever sent it, which goes through to
roadrunners server. now after a while, roadrunner will see a buttload of
emails coming from your device being relayed through their server, and
they will think,  "hey YOU are spamming people!", even though all you are
doing is replying to all those emails with the no such user reply.

I had this happen before and it took me a few mins to figgure out what was
going on. But the good news is that RR will notice when youre not sending
out so many smtp messages and unblock you after some amount of time.

Jason

|    Jason Welsh   jason at monsterjam.org        |
| http://monsterjam.org    DSS PGP: 0x5E30CC98 |
|    gpg key: http://monsterjam.org/gpg/       |