[TriLUG] Re: Postfix, Relay and nc.rr.com

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Sep 20 12:20:47 EDT 2006

jason at monsterjam.org wrote:
> well, dunno if this is your problem, but this is something that I ran into
> and you need to be aware of as well if youre doing this..
>
> if your server/domain have been up for a while, youll start to notice
> emails coming to people that dont even exist on your domain.
> i.e.  fred at yourdomain.com, fred2 at yourdomain.com, frank at yourdomain.com,
> filly at yourdomain.com, etc..
>
> Its the winblows spambots spewing their crap trying to guess names on your
> domain. Well, your smtp server will probably respond (like it usually
> should) saying
> "user xxxx not valid" back to whoever sent it, which goes through to
> roadrunners server. now after a while, roadrunner will see a buttload of
> emails coming from your device being relayed through their server, and
> they will think,  "hey YOU are spamming people!", even though all you are
> doing is replying to all those emails with the no such user reply.

You are doing something wrong if your SMTP server is accepting these
messages and *then* sending back the 'user xxxx not valid' error
messages.  That check should be happening at the 'RCPT TO:' phase of the
SMTP transaction and not after the message is accepted and sitting in
your mail queue.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/