[TriLUG] sendmail jujitsu with virtual hosts

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Sep 22 10:28:33 EDT 2006

> I don't think it's integrated too tightly into the code:
> But then again, this is apache1.3 not apache2.  The first box I looked
> at was debian w/ user www-data running apache2.  Perhaps it's
> something in the newer version?  That seems unlike the apache software
> foundation, or any good unix daemon, for that matter.

I managed to find my notes, stored in my apache 1.3 config file
from Debian Woody from late 2005 / early 2006.

   # ALAN - This HAS to be www-data:www-data because suexec is
   # hard-coded to use the www-data user (it has a -D username
   # option, but I don't know how to configure apache to use it).
   # If these two options are changed, then CGI scripts will
   # not run.
   User www-data
   Group www-data

So this is really more of a problem with Debian's apache package,
rather than apache itself.  In order to run as a different user,
I would have had to recompile apache and/or suexec.  I would much
rather stick with the pre-built packages.

Alan

.