[TriLUG] Xubuntu for Thin Clients

James McDermott jim at purpleelephant.org
Fri Sep 22 13:48:11 EDT 2006

Owen,

I am also someone who has never setup or used LTSP.

At the last TriLUG meeting, Jason Tower gave a great presentation and
demo on LTSP.

Jason mentioned that all the applications executed on the server that
was running Ubuntu or maybe Edubuntu.

I think the P2 thin-clients required no OS and could work without hard
drives installed on the machines. This is ideal for us because we have
lots of donated P2's at the shop.

You have a good point! Maybe Xubuntu is advertised as a good thin-client
network OS where the server is actually running Xubuntu?

Xubuntu, with its lightweight graphics, (compared with GNOME) probably
creates much lower screen refresh traffic across the network. This is
just a guess..

For my initial setup, I am planning on installing Edubuntu on the P4
server and will use P2 machines with no hard drives for my clients.

We are interested in Edubuntu because it's aimed at kids and education.

Thanks, Jim