[TriLUG] Xubuntu for Thin Clients

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Sep 25 12:20:19 EDT 2006

Hi,
      My son's school has been running k12ltsp (http://www.k12ltsp.org/ )
for over a year now.  The server is a dual core Xeon 1.8 GHz box with 2GB
RAM and 36GB RAID 5  hard drive space.  There are approximately 25 clients
hooked up that are pretty much whatever gets donated, PII 266 --> PIII 800
boxes with 64 MB RAM and 1-4 MB video RAM ( some of which refuse to boot
off of CD :-)) .  The main slowdown seems to be the network and X windows (
really shows up with 25 clients trying to run tuxtype).   The server is
connected to the lab computers via Gigabit ethernet.   The school is
looking at possibly using Thinstation  ( thinstation.org)  and the FreeNX
client in place of the standard Xclient images, but we haven't gotten there
yet.

      I have heard that you can cluster with Openssi
http://openssi.org/cgi-bin/view?page=openssi.html and do LSTP client
things.  Anyone try that lately?  The school  is looking at buying hardware
( 5 year cycle) next calendar year, the school may just get multiple
servers and split up the clients between the servers.

Contact me off list if you need more info.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null