[TriLUG] Subversion setup question?

Jason Faulkner jason at oldos.org
Mon Sep 25 17:35:34 EDT 2006

You should be able to use:

svn+ssh//server/path/to/svn/repo

Your user must have the type of access you need for the repo (i.e., if
you are only reading, you need ro, if you are going to write, you need
rw).

That /should/ work. No special config required.

However, I highly reccomend libapache2-mod-svn for svn. It works stellar.

On 9/25/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/25/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Any experience here in setting up subversion?
> > >
> > > I'm trying set up so that I can access svn repositories using svn+ssh
> > >
> > > Plain old svn works:
> > > rick at bill:~$ svn co svn://frodo/repository/depot depot
> > > svn: /usr/local/svn/repository/depot/conf/svnserve.conf:12: Option expected
> > > rick at bill:~$ svn co svn://frodo/repository/depot depot
> > > A    depot/test
> > > ... lots of files snipped ...
> > > A    depot/public/favicon.ico
> > > Checked out revision 1.
> > >
> > > But svn+ssh doesn't:
> > >
> > > rick at bill:~$ rm -rf depot/
> > > rick at bill:~$ svn co svn+ssh://frodo/repository/depot depot
> > > svn: No repository found in 'svn+ssh://frodo/repository/depot'
> > >
> > > I can ssh from bill to frodo.
> > >
> > > The how-tos I've run across imply that there's no additional setup for
> > > svn+ssh access, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
> >
> > My best guess would be that the path is different using
> > ssh.  Is the actual path on the machine /repository/depot?
>
> It is relative to the path given to svnserve when it was started.
>
> > If not, try the actual physical path and see if that works.
>
> The point of using two urls which differed only in the protocol (svn
> vs. svn+ssh) was that one worked, and one didn't, talking to the same
> server daemon.
>
> I can't see anything in svnserve.conf which turns svn+ssh access on or off.
>
> --
> Rick

Jason Faulkner
http://oldos.org