[TriLUG] motion, imagemagick, convert, and mpeg2encode (and ffmpeg)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Sep 26 12:00:37 EDT 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On 9/26/06, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have imagemagick installed on my debian system and thus I have
>> convert.
>> Convert however needs mpeg2encode to create mpegs and a 'apt-cache
>> search
>> mpeg' doesn't shot a hit for mpeg2econde.  Has this software somehow
>> violated the GPL and been removed?  If I recall it was bundled in past
>> releases.
>

> It's part of mjpegtools (http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/).  I don't see
> a debian
> package, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Toss this in your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

That'll set you up for what used to be informally known as the Marillat
repository, maintained by Christian Marillat <marillat at debian.org>.
It's a very convenient repository of all of the multimedia bits you'd
want for Debian, such as mplayer, ffmpeg, mjpeg, mythtv, and friends.

Aaron S. Joyner