[TriLUG] viewing files with firefox

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Sep 27 20:43:31 EDT 2006

I'm using firefox 1.5.0.7 to look through the (java) swing
tutorial, which I've downloaded and installed on some
localdirectory. I start with the
url=file:/directory/index.html

After a bit of poking around I click on a link to the source
code of some file I'm interested in. I had hoped the code
would come up in a window. Instead I get a box with

o save to disk
o open with ... java compiler /other

I go to firefox->preferences->download->fileextensions to
find that "java" isn't a known file extension so apparently
running the java compiler is built in.

"other" leads me to a directory viewer, so I tell firefox to
use /usr/bin/less as the viewer (and stupidly tell it to do
this everytime for this type of file). Firefox (and the
windowing system) hangs - I ctrl/alt/F1 out of Xorg and
startx again. Now when I try to look at a java file, the
windowing system hangs every time. I find that `less` is in
~/.mozilla/.../mimetypes.rdf.

What did the original mimetypes file look like? Go to
another linux machine with the same version of firefox -
there's no java entries anywhere in the mimetypes.rdf file
here (is firefox 1.5.0.7 different on each machine?), but
this firefox (successfully) opens the java file (with
gedit). There's no gedit in the mimetypes.rdf file or in the
preferences->download->fileextensions.

It's like I'm trapped on a windows machine.

I'd really like the java code just to appear in a firefox
window as text. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks Joe