[TriLUG] SB Live! audio card recognition

jwheeler at etherealfringe.com jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Sun Oct 1 19:20:33 EDT 2006

> Have you checked your advanced bios settings for any disabled PCI
resources/regions? Have you booted with pci=noacpi appended to the grub
command line?

I did check the BIOS. Everything looked fine. I played with the options
just in case... nothing seemed to be a problem really, no changes make a
positive difference. I added pci=noacpi to /boot/grub/grub.conf  didn't
change the I/O disabled flag. I have no onboard sound to worry about.

One interesting thing I have noticed though... the line from lspci -vv
that reads:

Region 0: I/O port at 1000 [disabled] [size=32]

Well this is the case when i run lspci -vv in an xterm.
But if im at a non-X cli then the same line reads:

Region 0: I/O ports at 1000 [size=32]

Furthermore, after a bit of googling and turning up the following:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-110144.html

This guy has seen the same behaviour under Fedora... only in his case he
can play MP3's from the command line using mpg123.... that doesn't work
for me. I get ALSA errors telling me that it can't talk to device '0'. The
card is on IRQ 0.

I haven't had time to try the OSS sb driver yet. Hopefully tonight.