[TriLUG] Google Code Search

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Thu Oct 5 09:50:42 EDT 2006

Yeah, my first search was:

void main()

I laughed.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Calloway
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:36 AM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Google Code Search

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> http://www.google.com/codesearch/advanced_code_search

This is funny. Regular Google only searches for full words and not
fragments.

I entered "MPI," one of my interests, in a search of Python software
beyond the MPI modules in SciPy I'm aware of.

I got back everything that had the word "compile" in it, with characters
"MPI" highlighted in the middle of the word. :)

Thus, rendering the huge number of results fairly useless.

However, it will search for 'punctuation' character sequences like "::"
or "<<" which regular Google ignores.

Luckily, I enjoy life without braces, though. So this is not a biggy for
me. :)

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway