[TriLUG] WRT54GL wireless bridge

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Fri Oct 6 10:50:03 EDT 2006

I need to setup a wireless bridge in my home so that my myth box (still
to be built) can connect to my wireless network. I was thinking that I'd
get one of those WRT54GL's and put OpenWrt on it, and turn it into a
bridge. Does that sound feasible? Any cheaper (and reliable)
suggestions? It needs to be able to handle WPA.

Before anyone starts pushing for a wired connection, this is going to be
located in my living room, which is nowhere near anything that could be
used to wire it up. Also, it'll be running front and back myth on the
same machine, so there's no need for a super fast connection.

I'd prefer not to go the wireless USB adaptor route, mainly to avoid the
hassle of drivers etc. Also, it's going to be a mini-itx solution, so
not having an extra drain on the power supply via a USB device would be
good. And no additional PCI slots either. Besides, the main board has
built in 10/100 ethernet, so why not use it.

TIA.
Owen