[TriLUG] How do you do this on the web?

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 11:26:23 EDT 2006

Can someone suggest some ideas/techniques for implementing the following on a
web page....

I have a single graphic of several counties displayed on a web page....I would
like to read a set of data containing x.y coordinates and plot a dot on the
county graphic dynamically, realizing that the coordinates in the data set
would need to be translated to the coordinate set of the graphic.  I would
also like to make the dot that just got plotted, a hot spot on the graphic so
when a user hover's over it or clicks on it, I can pop up a small detail
window with additional information.  The additional information and x,y
information will be contained in a flat file which will be updated
periodically (say every x minutes).

I am looking for two types of answers:

 First - Just a general method of accomplishing this
    (reply to list)

 Second - Hey I know just how to do that, and the cost to implement is $$
   (reply directly to me)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ron