[TriLUG] The thin line...

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Fri Oct 6 12:34:13 EDT 2006

Got me thinking... fairly off topic

I didn't read that Andrew was talking expressly about web servers.
Maybe he was instead talking about mainframes as packet switches /
routers.  Some of that went on in the early days, but it certainly
doesn't work that way any longer.  I don't think it was ever even the
norm.  In the mid 80's DARPANET was handing over networking
responsibilities to the NSF.  To that point, they had been using front
end processors to handle the network traffic chores rather than the
mainframe proper.  It wasn't until the NSF got involved that more
mainframes were added, and considerable growth occurred resulting in the
need to hold sizable routing information and process packets at such a
rate that the mainframe became interesting as a network infrastructure
component.

By the late 80's, appliance routers were already showing up.  The famous
Cisco quote goes something like "People had a long history of buying
things that plugged into the wall, made noises and got warm."
So, the idea of an expensive mainframe as a network infrastructure
component was already on the way out once the software to handle routing
had been coupled with a cheap hardware platform.